home about shop locally featured our homes

10.28.2011

Autumn & Soups

Is it me or is pumpkin all the rage in the fall? Don't you love things that make you feel like its fall? Or any of the changing of the seasons really. I love the newness of it. Pulling out my winter/fall clothes that I haven't worn in months.

It's a good thing by now I have forgotten February. I just hate the cold by the time February gets here and don't get me started on March. But for now I will enjoy the fall and pretend like those terrible cold winter months are not coming.

For me soups are sacred in the fall. That sounds strange. It just doesn't feel right making soups in the summer. I do on occasion because I love that it is a whole meal in one bowl, but it isn't the same as making a soup in the fall. I have not done much cooking yet this fall because of baby Jude. Fortunately lots of friends have brought us meals, but here is one of my favorite chili recipes.

It's called Tarheel Chili...(credit)

What you'll need: 

  • 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 large onions, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
  • 1 1/2 cups dark beer
  • 2 (16 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 1 dash Worcestershire sauce

Directions

  1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef until brown. Drain.
  2. In a large pot over medium heat, cook celery, onions and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent. Stir in beef, tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, beer, chili beans, kidney beans, cumin, chili powder, coriander, cayenne and Worcestershire. Simmer over low heat 3 hours, until flavors are well blended.

It is delicious. Honestly...the beer makes it so good. 


Let me know if you try it or if you have any fall recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you reading & leaving a comment!